Sunday 4 May 2014

Tour of Sufferlandria 2014: Day 7



Day 7 (January 31) called for two pretty tough rides. I broke them up and did one in the morning before work and the other when I came home. The one I did in the morning was Angels. I'm pretty sure the title is a typo and the full name is something like Angels of the Apocalypse or Angels: Harbingers of Death.

Length: 65 minutes

Format: after the warm-up you do 10 minutes of over/under intervals (1 minute just over your threshold, 1 minute just below it). Then there's three climbs of 8 minutes each, with 4 minutes recovery in between each one. Each climb has its own "character" but, to quote the workout, "they're not cute, cuddly characters". They're a mix of speed, attacks and climbs with the last climb being the legendary Alpe d'Huez.



Music: fun! A little bit of everything

Footage: similar to AVDP yesteday, the race footage is from a bunch of different races in France

Difficulty: 8/10. The 8 minute climbs go by pretty fast and the fun music helps.

Other Random Thoughts: I mentioned on Day 6 that I prefer the Sufferfests with a bit of a "storyline" and while there wasn't an official storyline with this one, it does pit you against well-known riders like Vockler and Contador.  8/10.


The second ride I did on Day 7 was The Hunted.

Length: 60 minutes

Format: after the warm-up there's a short attack and a tempo ride. Then a 20 minute climb before a 4 minute descent/recovery. You race to the finish line with some brutal attacks before cooling down.

Music: I really disliked the music used in the first half of the workout. I'm not sure what to call it...uninspired rock, maybe? Luckily, the dance beats that I'm really digging with these workouts made an appearance for the second half.

Footage: the Tour de Suisse. The footage during the climb was spectacular. (I'm assuming it's the Swiss Alps.)

Difficulty: 8.5/10. The 20 minute climb and the attacks near the end were pretty brutal.

Other random thoughts: I loved the music during the second half of the workout and the scenery and the fact there was a bit of a storyline (you're the captain of the Sufferlandrian Pro Team). I want to revisit this one when my legs aren't so tired. 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment